1. Whisk eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until pale yellow. Add flour, salt and cornstarch whisking to combine.
2. Warm milk in a saucepan over medium low heat allowing steam to rise but being careful not to simmer or boil it
3. Gradually add the hot milk to your egg batter, in steady batches whisking thoroughly after every addition
4. Clean your saucepan and pour the batter to cook over medium low heat. Keep whisking until it thickens into a pudding consistency.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and whisk the vanilla custard in.
6. Transfer the paste to a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap (directly onto the cream) and refrigerate to chill. This takes a couple of hours.
1. Line a baking sheet with silicon mat onto preheated oven at 400 °F
2. Unroll the puff pastry sheet and divide each into the desired number of squares.
3. Using a fork piece the pastry squares being careful not to pierce the borders
4. Brush your egg wash onto the borders (that you left unpierced)
5. Bake until the edges turn golden brown
6. Refrigerate the unbaked squares
7. Once you’re done baking, allow the squares to cool
8. Once completely cool, add 2 tablespoons of pastry cream on each pastry square. Dust with powdered sugar and strawberry gum powder
9. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve